The various camera types along with the large amount of features can often create too many variables when it comes to picking just one. Of course you want a camera that will give you high quality images at all times but this can be different for beginners that are learning to stabilize the image and those professionals that are shooting landscapes.
Generally, if you are looking for the best digital camera under $300 you can find a model that produces beautiful images of almost professional quality to suit your specific shooting style, lifestyle and uses.
Take This into Consideration
- How are you going to be using the camera? This will help you determine the kind of control that you need as well as specific features. For example, you could choose a camera that comes with one manual mode or one with Tv (Shutter priority) that allows you to control the shutter speed or Av (Aperture priority) that lets you control the aperture. Some cameras come with all of these options, which is important if you are using the camera to get into photography and would like to advance your technique.
- How will you be displaying or sharing your images? Some cameras are specifically designed for the photographer to print their images while others offer WiFi connectivity to e-mail or post on social media.
- What kind of screen would you like your camera to have? Most cameras have a fixed rear display that is controlled with the buttons on the camera itself, but some has displays that can be tilted and flipped for taking selfies while others offer touchscreens to create more of a modern feel to the operation.
Top 6 Digital Cameras Under $300 Overview Chart
Features That Make a Good Digital Camera
- Pixels. The number of pixels of a product is in direct correlation to the details that the camera is able to pick up. This doesn’t always mean, however, that higher pixels are equal to better pictures. The pixels of a camera are picked up by a sensor in the camera. The pixels have to be balanced with the sensor and only perfect harmony between the two, as created by camera engineers, can produce higher quality images.
- Zoom & Range. Cameras generally come with a set zoom that you can then adjust to suit your needs. While many cameras come with details about their zoom capabilities, this is all relative to the camera and what it is set at normally. The best way to determine if a camera has the zoom that you want is to look through it yourself.
- Weight and Portability. While larger digital cameras may make you look like a professional, they are not always the most practical option. You should be realistic about where and when you will be using the camera and then consider the size and the weight.
Top 3 Best Digital Camera Under $300 Reviews
The Nikon COOLPIX S9900 can be categorized as the highest quality point and shoot camera there is. This camera is a little heavier than similar or older models but that is just a testament to the quality of the equipment inside.
This camera is small enough to be grabbed with one hand but sturdy enough to be taken on hikes.
The swivel display is perfect for taking selfies and there are lots of other image control features that make this camera easy to use.
The Samsung EC-WB350FBPBUS is a sleek compact camera that is great for keeping with you at all times for impromptu photography or for bringing with you on a long trip without it taking up too much space.
The camera has a lot of features that aren’t often associated with such an affordable model.
There are more settings and even white balance that will give you more control as a photographer and make the images come out better overall.
The Canon Powershot SX400 will blow any expectations that you have of the best digital camera under $300. This model is one that lets you take pictures of the moon at night as well as family shots in the sun.
One feature of note is the zoom. You can get pictures from much farther away than you might expect from such a straightforward and basic model. This kind of stripped down photography that doesn’t have too many settings means that it is more user-friendly.
The battery power and the normal flash of this camera are also quite good so you can shoot for hours before needing to worry about taking a break.