There are a variety of reasons to use a hidden camera that have nothing to do with the action-packed spy films that you’re used to seeing.
Cameras of this nature can help you keep tabs on a nanny or caretaker in your home, they can act as a security device or they can be used as a tool to aid in professional investigations to help prove someone’s innocence or guilt.
Below, we will show you the ten best spy cameras that you can use for both personal and professional use, along with some typical situations when a hidden camera may come in useful.
What to Consider for Spy Cameras
There are a few things to consider before you head out and start filming.
- Laws. There are different laws and regulations when it comes to filming without consent all over the world. Based on your location, it is crucial that you inform yourself about any possible rules and regulations regarding undercover filming, etc.
There can be harsh penalties for those who don’t follow regulations including fines and even jail time.
- Fixed Camera or Something You Carry. There are various ways to capture video, so you need to determine if you need to plant a hidden camera somewhere (in a fixed location) or if you need it to be a discreet piece of gear that you carry. There are plenty of decoys that will hide a fixed camera, or you can buy objects (such as pens or sunglasses) that contain a camera inside so that you have more flexibility to capture the desired events on film.
Top 10 Best Hidden Cameras Comparison Table
Who Needs One?
The best spy cameras are well hidden and not noticeable to the naked eye. Uses include:
- Nanny Cams. Keep an eye on nannies and babysitters in the home. These could also work well in a retirement home facility to keep track of a loved one’s care.
- Home Security. Many need a camera that will most likely go unnoticed in the event of a robbery.
- Business Security. Standard cameras won’t always show you what is really going on. When cameras are visible, those being filmed know how to avoid them. Having a bit of extra security with a hidden camera can cover areas that the regular security camera don’t. You can find out what potentially dishonest employees are doing or a catch a thief in the act when the other cameras provide you with no proof.
- Spying. Spies exist off of the Hollywood movie screens, and there are definitely some hidden cameras out there that are used for checking up on someone when you feel that they’ve been dishonest. Some may need to use the film as crucial evidence in a court of law, which could mean the difference between an innocent and guilty verdict.
3 Best Spy Camera Reviews
The Teraputics Spy Pen camera is like something out of a spy film, and it really is an effective tool for a variety of circumstances where you need to capture both audio and video of a situation.
A regular ballpoint pen hides a secret in the form of a 1280 x 720p camera: great video quality for such a small camera!
Once you have recorded what you need, all you do is run the USB cable from the pen to your PC or Mac to see your footage.
This very discreet tool will aid you in any professional or personal spying situations. They also offer a 45 day money-back guarantee if for some reason you find that it’s not the right spy tool you needed.
This camera is a notch up from the spy pen above with its 1920 x 1080p video capture resolution and it has a 170° wide angle lens that allows you to scan larger areas.
Since this camera isn’t disguised, you might need to find a decoy to put it in or else disguise it yourself if you want it out of view. It comes with a variety of mounting accessories, so attaching it to a variety of surfaces is easy.
This camera is a favorite of law enforcement officers. It can easily be mounted on helmets (for motorcycle patrols) or onto patrol car dashboards to capture scenes in front of the car.
A great camera that you can hide or leave in plain sight to capture all of the footage you need!
Brickhouse has a great spy tool for you to help protect your home and your family.
This slim little camera is only 5 inches by 4 inches in width and 2 ½ inches high. You can easily slip it into common, everyday items in your house to keep an eye on babysitters, caretakers or as a home security system.
The same goes for any work place. If you suspect inappropriate behavior and need some hard evidence, then this will help you obtain it.
The video quality is decent at 1280 x 720p capture resolution, but make sure not to cover the microphone if you need to disguise it!
Spying on someone isn’t always a bad thing. If it helps you to prove that someone is or isn’t in the wrong, then use our handy guide above to compare and contrast the ten best hidden cameras for your needs!